Friday, January 25, 2013

Making Memories with Ovid!

In today's class, we discussed memories, the first memories we remember having.  Well that finalized my decision on what to write about in my blog today.  I was thinking earlier today that I would share something about my reading habits.  I was reading The Metamorphoses before class and was hooked into it for almost three hours.  This is only possible for me in complete silence, or if I plug in my iPod and play a song on repeat for the duration of the reading session (I get distracted very easily).  I read in complete silence with all my textbooks, but for my books that I read on my own, I call them fun books, I pick a song.  This has been a habit of mine for a long time with every fun book that I have read.  I start by reading a couple chapters, experimenting with different songs that have a similar mood and "feel".  When one is decided upon, it plays on repeat every time I read the book until it is finished.  I love this habit, because I can relive the book in memory anytime by listening to that song.  I'm sure everyone has heard a song that reminds them of a time in the past, or a memory of some kind.  This is what I do for my love of reading and my love of music.

Anyway, I have come to consider Ovid's Metamorphoses as a fun book, so I have chosen a song for it.  I was debating sharing this song because I am semi-embarrassed of its origin.  I will start from the beginning:

I read the Twilight series starting when the first one published in 2005.  Then the movies came out, and I wasn't so impressed.  Nonetheless, I have seen all of them and have the score of Breaking Dawn Part 1 on my iPod.  The score is done by Carter Burwell, and in my opinion he did an amazing job.  To bring this back to point, I am reading Metamorphoses with a song from the score by Carter Burwell.  It is called A Nova Vida.  I think it has a good tone and brings a little something extra to reading Ovid. It will give me memories of Ovid into my future! A nova vida also translates to "a new life", which I think has a position in mythology, even with our theme of creation myths!! And everything comes back to trees (what came up in google for "a new life")..


If anyone is interested in listening to it, I'm sure it can be found on the internet somewhere.  For being from the Twilight movie, it is really good music.  I am partial to instrumental music though.

1 comment:

  1. If you are partial to instrumental music, I recommend listening to Explosions in the Sky and Godspeed You, Black Emperor! Also, The Antlers are primarily haunting instrumentals with hypnotic lyrics.

    ReplyDelete