Friday, January 18, 2013

Synchronicity? I think yes!

So I was at the bookstore as soon as class was out today.  I went there to pick up some notecards, and passed by the stuffed animal section that I'm sure most everyone has seen.  There was a white sheep-looking animal that caught my eye.  I was drawn to it because of the Salish creation myth I read about with a Mountain Sheep in it.  As I read the tag attached to the ear to see if it truly was a sheep, it read "White Buffalo" along with the legend behind the White Buffalo.  This is a Lakota Souix legend about American Buffalo being a symbol of sacred life and abundance.  It is said that the birth of a white buffalo calf is the most prophetic of signs.  A long time ago, the Lakota Souix were starving with no game in sight in the Black Hills of South Dakota.  The Tribe sent two hunters out and along the way ran into a beautiful young woman dressed in white.  She returned with the young men to the camp and taught them the mysteries of the earth, how to pray and follow the proper path while on earth.  As she was leaving, she rolled upon the earth four times, changing color and turning into a white buffalo calf.  Just as she vanished, the tribe could see herds of buffalo surrounding the camps.

This is one of many tweaked versions of the myth.  I found this one the most enjoyable when researching on the internet.  It gives a little more detail than the tag on the stuffed white buffalo.  If you would like to read more about it, here is the link:

http://www.lightningmedicinecloud.com/legend.html

I also think I will count this as my mythological coincidence.  I was in our class, and then in the bookstore, where the great white buffalo found me.

1 comment:

  1. I admire your interest in the white buffalo. If you really want to explore the white buffalo and it's cultural significance, you should read Black Elk Speaks. It's an amazing book.

    ReplyDelete